If you’ve ever known a woman, you’ve probably heard her moan and groan at some point about at least one of the men in her life. That’s one of the things we do best as women–complain about men. Indeed, I do a lot of man teasing on my blog and in my posts. It’s not because I dislike men, because I don’t. I love men! It’s because it’s FUN and it’s so easy to do.
But, today my husband and I celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary. In honor of this momentous occasion, I decided to do something unique, crazy and different–something that is rarely, if ever, done in our society.
I decided to make a list of the reasons why men are awesome! Yup, I’m serious. I really do think they’re awesome (usually), and I think it’s high time we women remember why (since it’s so easy to forget when they’re being totally annoying).
Now, before you send me hate mail, please keep in mind that this list is not all-inclusive and certainly does not apply to all men–just most of the ones I’ve personally encountered. In addition, I have kept this post PG rated…so don’t expect any dirty stuff.
Here are my Top 10:
1. Their voices are sexy. After spending an hour listening to your friend Sally’s high-pitched squawking about her mother in law, there is nothing better than hearing your man’s soothing deep voice.
2. They don’t ask trick questions. You will rarely, if ever, hear a man ask ”Does this outfit make me look fat?” or “Is that guy better looking than I am?” or “Do you still love me?” Moreover, if you tell them you bumped into someone at the store, they will not interrogate you about every single solitary word that was said, what (or whom) the person was wearing, and whether the person has put on weight (and if so, approximately how much).
3. We can wear the same outfit in front of a man 2 or 3 times in a week and he’ll never notice. This same rule applies for new haircuts and purses. In fact, I’ve used the same purse for the past 4 months, always leaving it in the same general area of the house. I can pretty much guarantee that if I asked my husband to go get something out of it right now, he would ask “where is it and what does it look like?”
4. They are low-maintenance and generally easy to please. When it comes to cooking for men, they will usually be equally happy eating Beef Bourguignon with a fine wine or Steak-ums and a beer. As for clothes shopping, they’d rather not. Instead, they would usually prefer to wear what they have. It makes perfect sense–why not wear the underwear you’ve had since college? I mean, who needs elastic?
5. Unless your odor starts to repel farm animals, they really don’t care whether or not you shower.
6. They look really good lifting heavy boxes and reaching high shelves.
7. They don’t mind killing bugs. Men may squirm when you mention your period, but they will engage in Guerrilla warfare if it means we will be protected from the likes of spiders, ants or bugs which cross our paths. Give them a fly swatter, and they become our knights in shining armour.
8. They don’t talk too much. Most men will usually answer a question with “yes,” “no,” or “That’s what she said,” and not throw in superfluous information which could only result in a long, drawn out conversation (and possible tears). As for phone conversations, 60 seconds maximum. Get in and get out. It’s much more efficient.
9. They are so sweet to us when we cry (even though they are well aware that most of the time, it’s total blackmail).
10. If you make them mad, you can pretty much get them unmad without much effort (wink, wink). This is a pretty good deal considering that if they make us mad, flowers, chocolate, heartfelt apologies and/or jewelry are required.
So ladies, if you haven’t yet today (or ever) told your man how much you appreciate him, I suggest you go for it. It couldn’t hurt. What’s the worst that could happen? He might think you’ve lost your mind, you’ve done something very bad, or that you had another three Martini lunch with your boss. But, best case scenario–you’ll make his day.
Reprinted with gratitude and permission from: